LOC Listening Exercise, 2023-24
20 December 2023
Article originally posted 31 October 2023 (updated 20 December 2023).
LOCSU has launched a listening exercise that aims to hear from as many LOC members and contractors as possible.
At the NOC on 14 November, LOCSU launched a period of structured engagement that will continue into March 2024. Learning from this engagement will help LOCSU understand: the support LOCs require in developing and implementing local strategies; and how we can improve LOCSU services and support (our ‘value proposition’). The learning will also inform a new model constitution which meets LOC obligations laid in statute, while enabling flexibility to accommodate differing LOC models.
These planned outcomes are a response to calls from the membership to improve the LOCSU support offer and provide an up-to-date constitution that facilitates good practice. Thank you to all LOCs who have shared their views and suggestions already, we look forward to hearing more feedback.
Content and facilitation will not be specific to a location; this means members can attend any listening event. In-person events will include 30 minutes of networking and buffet.
- 12 December, AOP, 2 Woodbridge Street, London, EC1R ODG. Choose from two events:
- 1pm networking buffet, workshop 1.30pm–3.30pm
- 5.30pm networking buffet, workshop 6.30pm–8.30pm
- 6 December, via Teams, 7.45pm–9pm
- 7 December, via Teams, 12.30pm–1.45pm
- 11 December, via Teams, 6.30pm–7.45pm
- 8 January, via Teams, 1.30pm–3.30pm
- 8 January, via Teams, 6.30pm–8.30pm
- 10 January, via Teams, 1.30pm–3.30pm
- 10 January, via Teams, 6.30pm–8.30pm
Each LOC is invited to nominate two attendees for one of the in-person events. Attendance for each online event will be capped at 40 people on a first come, first served basis. A waiting list will be held should there be more than two expressions of interest per LOC; LOCSU will ensure that all spaces are filled to maximise LOC input.
Recovering LOC costs
To assist engagement at these free to attend events, LOCs will receive an allowance to distribute to delegates attending on their behalf. The basis on which these payments will be made has been decided in collaboration with LOC representatives on LOCSU’s National Forum and Board.
In February 2024 there will be a second round of local meetings to facilitate more detailed locality-led discussion and review the new draft constitution. We are working through the Advancement Leads and Regional LOC Forums to determine the optimum times and locations for these in-person events:
- Week commencing 19 February, several venues, locality-led, North and Midlands
- Week commencing 26 February, several venues, locality-led, London, South and East
100% Optical @ London Excel 24–26 February
LOCSU will also seek views from attendees of 100% Optical – come and see us on our stand!
- Place your booking by 5 December (online and London events) or by 20 December (Birmingham and York) by completing the form
- Start a conversation in your LOC and with your Advancement Lead about how you would like to engage in the second round of LOCal Engagement events
Please send any questions, feedback, or ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org